Public Resources for Individuals Directly Impacted by Hurricane Sandy

Below is a summary of organizations providing aid to those impacted by the storm as we have been able to find out. This information may be of assistance to you, family, friends, colleagues or clients.  Please feel free to provide this website link as needed.

The UJA-Federation of New York

Funds and coordinates the Connect-to-Care program, is assisting in relief efforts for those hit hardest by Hurricane Sandy. You may contact their J11 Information and Referral to learn about ways they may be able to assist.

Phone: 1-877-UJA-NYJ11



Much of NYC has been declared eligible for Individual Assistance up to $31,400; this is direct aid for losses caused by the Hurricane that are not covered by insurance. FEMA has a number of assistance programs that you can speak to them about, including rental payments for temporary housing if your house is unlivable, as well as grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items. Unemployment payments may also become available to assist workers who temporarily lost their jobs because of the storm. For programs related to your home, we've been told you should register with FEMA first (I'll repeat the number below), then call your insurance company. FEMA will come out after your insurance company, and they will need to know the company's damage estimates.

Phone: 1-800-621-3362 or TTY 1-800-462-7585


Red Cross

The Red Cross is making medical supplies and medicines available for those who need them or may have lost theirs in the storm. They can also provide emergency shelter and other aid. Please contact them for more information:

Phone: 1-866-438-4636


Human Resources Administration

If you are a recipient of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - also known as food stamps) and food purchased with that aid was destroyed in the storm, then the Human Resources Administration may be able to replace your loss. Currently, you would have to apply for this by appearing in person at a Food Stamp Center and filling out form LDSS-2291. You can call the following number to find out which centers are closed due to the storm:

Phone: 1-718-557-1399

NYS Department of Financial Services

The Governor established a Financial Services Disaster Hotline for questions related to insurance claims (be sure to call this number if your insurance company is trying to charge you a hurricane deductible).The hotline is staffed Mon-Fri from 8am to 8pm, and Sat-Sun from 9am to 4pm.

Phone: 1-800-339-1759

Small Business Administration

The U.S. Small Business Administration have loan programs to help businesses in declared disaster areas. For more information and questions on eligibility:

Phone: 1-800-659-2955 or 1-212-264-4354 or 1-404-331-0333

E-mail: disastercustomerservice@...

NYC Department of Small Business Services

Small to Mid sized businesses can seek emergency business loans, capped at $10,000. For more information, reach out to a NYC Business Solutions Account Manager via the link to a contact form below.


New York Business Development Corporation (NYBDC)

They are providing disaster loans to businesses suffering storm or flood damage.


FEMA Disaster Legal Services

If you are facing legal issues from Hurricane Sandy you can seek legal assistance, whether it is a matter of employment law, landlord-tenant law, bankruptcy, or similar issues. They can also assist with the filing of federal aid claims.

Phone: 1-800-342-3661


Office of Emergency Management's Hurricane Sandy Helpline

OEM has provided a general hurricane helpline for New York State residents. They can provide updated information on available shelters and other resources.

Phone: 1-888-769-7243

Claims with New York City

You can file a claim with the City Comptroller to seek restitution for losses sustained from water damage (for example the backing up of sewer systems, or damage from a City tree) or other property loss related to the City. How to apply:


Flood Insurance

If you have flood insurance and are filing a claim then please know that you can take reasonable steps to protect your property from additional damage. Save all receipts paid to any contractor, so they can be part of your total settlement. Photograph or, if possible, take a video of the damage both of the property and of damaged items. You may be asked to keep all damaged items until the adjuster has visited you to inspect them. Be aware that most flood insurance plans require that a claim be made within 30 days.

If you do not have flood insurance then you should know that FEMA offers a National Flood Insurance Plan. While this plan would not apply to the just-passed storm, it would help protect you against future storms. For information on the plan:

Phone: 1-888-379-9531


Internal Revenue Service

Tax law provisions may help individuals and businesses recover financially from the disaster. Businesses may be able to deduct losses of property and individuals may be able to deduct personal property losses not covered by insurance or other assistance. In some cases, the deductions can be applied to the prior year's taxes or tax refunds for the coming year can be expedited. For more information:

Phone: 1-866-562-5227


American Group Psychotherapy Association

The American Group Psychotherapy Association is the foremost professional association dedicated to the field of group psychotherapy, operating...

. 1-10 employees

to see how you're connected to American Group Psychotherapy Association