As reports continue on the status of Hurricane Joaquin, AGPA would like to remind our members and friends that we offer a wide-range of resources. Community Outreach Co-Chair Dr. Suzanne Phillips has written the following blog, Psychological Preparation in the Face of Storm Warnings. And additional resources can be found at http://www.agpa.org/home/practice-resources/group-interventions-for-trauma/general-information-on-trauma-for-clinicians-and-the-public-at-large. We hope you and yours remain safe. Please contact us if we can be of assistance.
AGPA serves as the voice of group therapy for mental health clinicians and the public-at-large, both nationally and internationally. The AGPA provides vital information on group psychotherapy in a variety of ways. Our efforts provide global access to group psychotherapy education and professional development, research, and outreach services. AGPA promotes awareness about the healing power of group. Learn more about our organization.
The October Issue of the International Journal of Group Psychotherapy is available online
This special issue is devoted to Group Therapy around the World. Guest editors for this issue are Rainer Weber, PhD and Haim Weinberg, PhD, CGP, FAGPA and articles from 14 countries are included. AGPA members receive the Journal free with their membership, to access log on to the website using your username and password. If you are not a member of AGPA, you can order this issue of the journal directly through Guilford Publications, Inc.
Upcoming Teleconferences: Complimentary for AGPA Members
- Thursday, October 15, 2015: 8:00-9:30 pm (Eastern); “Violence in America: Group Therapists Join the Dialogue and Search for Solutions: Session 3 – The Impact of Violence on Ourselves, Groups, Families, and the Community” chaired by Victor L. Schermer, MA, LFAGPA; with Daniel H. Gottlieb, PhD; Kathleen Hubbs Ulman, PhD, CGP, FAGPA and Maureen Underwood LCSW, CGP;
- Sunday, October 18, 2015: 8:00-9:30 pm (Eastern); “Clinical Challenges in Marital Work in the 21st Century” with Judith M. Coché, PhD, ABPP, CGP, LFAGPA; David M. Hawkins, MD, CGP, DLFAGPA, DFAPA and Marti B. Kranzberg, PhD, ABPP, CGP, FAGPA;
- Sunday, October 25, 2015: 8:00-9:30 pm (Eastern); “Neuroscience and Racism” with Alexis D. Abernethy, PhD, CGP, FAGPA and Francis L. Stevens, PhD.
Participation in these teleconferences is complimentary for AGPA Members. CE credits for AGPA Members are available at $22.50/session.
Participation and CE credits for Nonmembers are available at $45.00/session. Payment includes the 90-minute teleconferences, access to the online test and upon successful completion a CE certificate. (For more information and to register.)
AGPA 2016 Annual Meeting, February 22-27 in New York City
It's not too early to start making your plans to attend the 2016 Meeting. Here is the registration form.
This meeting promises to be an extraordinary experience. Join us, as we explore the theme "Transformation in Group: From Isolation to Connection."
The 2016 Institute program is now available! To view full events descriptions click on the links below:
Other highlights of the meeting will include:
- Mitchell Hochberg Memorial Public Education Event will be presented by Lee Mun Wah
- Conference Opening Plenary Session speaker will be Salman Akhtar, MD
- Anne and Ramon Alonso Presidential Plenary Address with AGPA Incoming President, Eleanor F. Counselman, EdD, CGP, LFAGPA
- Louis R. Ormont Lecturer will be Robert Grossmark, PhD
Limited Time Offer--Discounted Hotel Room Rate for the 2016 New York Meeting
Reserve your hotel room at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel for the 2016 Meeting now through November 30; you will receive a special rate of $219 single/double occupancy; special rates are also available for Club Level rooms at $259 through November 30. To take advantage of this limited time offer click here or call 212-581-1000. After November 30, the rates will be $239 single/double and $279 for Club Level Rooms. Please note: Discounted reservations before November 30 require a one night non-refundable deposit.
Renew Your Membership in AGPA Today Renew your membership: online, by phone or by mail. To take advantage of online renewal, simply click this link to Log In to the AGPA website. Once logged in, select "Renew Your Membership" from the grey toolbar located at the top of the page. Contact AGPA at 877-668-2472-toll free or 212-477-2677 to renew by phone and/or to have a renewal notice mailed to you. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.